Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Muscles Don't Have Ears

What?!? Most people wouldn't argue with me on this point; but there are those that think you can talk with a massage therapist in passing and get your therapy 'on the cheap.' I usually oblige them, while I'm doing chair massage at a baseball game or a business expo, but I am usually wasting my time (and theirs) by trying to explain things that only my hands can show them. Sure, I can suggest a few stretches or posture corrections, but if it were that easy, there would be little need for massage. Of course, some of these conversations lead to some hands-on education, which is usually how I get suckered into such dialogues. I think, 'This person could use a massage, and maybe they're just testing me to see if I'm the type of therapist they're looking for.' But more often than not they go hobbling off, thinking they are going to translate those few words we exchanged into relief from their physical pain. I think my advice for such folks in the future will be that they will learn more from actually feeling the massage, and how their soft tissues react, than they'll ever learn from a frantic verbal search for relief. In short, 'Muscles don't have ears!'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home